Sunday, January 4, 2015

So Much Soup - but first, here's a sandwich!

It was not so many years ago that my New Year's Day would be spent with a very large bottle of water, pain relievers for my very large headache - and my bed. It wasn't so much that I was hungover per se, well... yes. It was because I was hung over.

I don't want to think it is because I got old (although I did) but instead, that I got, you know... a teensy bit wiser. Plus, when your kids get board games for Christmas, it is much easier and more fun to play them when you aren't wondering if it would be appropriate to wear sunglasses in the dining room.

In any case, this morning I decided I would get some cooking started so we could have supper on hockey nights. I had the foresight to defrost stewing beef and got to it. Instead of a traditional Beef Bouruignon, I did a make-shift version with things in my house on January 1.

There were sweet potatoes to turn into soup, mushrooms to turn into another soup - and a last minute decision to make one of my old favourites - Southwestern Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup. I shall get to those recipes peeps - but for today, I thought I'd share our lunch choice.

We decided on sandwiches. I had croissants. There was ham. Our friends regularly make fun of the number of condiments in my fridge. There was arugula. How could we NOT make a sandwich!

Caramelizing onions and adding them to pretty much everything always seems like the obvious choice for me. We usually have some in the fridge. However, if you don't have the time or the inclination, you can buy some at most grocery stores now.

I imagine lots of us have leftover ham in our fridges. If not, then you should. ;)

Arugula, aged cheddar and some Applewood Smoked Bacon Mustard and we have ourselves a sandwich!

Applewood Smoked Bacon Mustard = yum
I love making sandwiches for just the two of us at home. We can go crazy with condiments - or just do something plain. Regardless, they're still one of my favourite lunches on a lazy day.


*Note: I wrote this New Year's Day but forgot to hit post. Oops. I haven't blogged in a while. That's my excuse. ;)
































No comments:

Post a Comment